Ohio Man Pleads Guilty to Assaulting Law Enforcement During Jan. 6 Capitol Breach

Ohio man pleads guilty to assaulting law enforcement during Jan. 6 Capitol breach. His actions disrupted the democratic process. Sentencing hearing scheduled.

On July 24, 2023, an Ohio man named Michael Scott Lockwood pleaded guilty to assaulting law enforcement during the Jan. 6 Capitol breach in Washington, D.C. Lockwood’s actions, along with those of other rioters, disrupted the joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the 2020 presidential election. The 32-year-old defendant climbed the riser outside the Capitol building, assaulted police officers, and stole a baton. Lockwood now faces a maximum sentence of eight years in prison, with his sentencing hearing scheduled for November 3, 2023. This ongoing investigation has resulted in the arrest of over 1,069 individuals in nearly all 50 states, including more than 350 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement.


On January 6, 2021, an unprecedented breach occurred at the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C., during which a mob of individuals stormed the building in an attempt to disrupt the certification of the electoral votes for the 2020 presidential election. This act of violence and insurrection not only posed a threat to the safety of lawmakers and Capitol staff but also undermined the very foundations of democracy. In the aftermath of this event, a thorough investigation and prosecution of those responsible for the violence and destruction have been underway.

Summary of the Case

One of the individuals involved in the January 6 Capitol breach is Michael Scott Lockwood, a 32-year-old man from Southington, Ohio. Lockwood is alleged to have actively participated in the assault on law enforcement officers during the breach. His actions on that day disrupted the joint session of Congress, where the electoral votes were being counted to officially certify the results of the 2020 presidential election.

The Guilty Plea

On July 24, 2023, Michael Scott Lockwood pleaded guilty to a felony charge related to his actions during the Capitol breach. Lockwood specifically admitted to assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers, thereby acknowledging his role in the violence and aggression towards law enforcement on that day. This guilty plea serves as an acknowledgment of Lockwood’s culpability in the events that unfolded at the Capitol.

Sentencing Hearing

Following his guilty plea, Lockwood awaits a sentencing hearing scheduled for November 3, 2023. The severity of the charges against him could result in a maximum sentence of eight years in prison. The sentencing hearing will be presided over by U.S. District Court Judge Randolph D. Moss, who will consider all relevant factors before determining the appropriate punishment for Lockwood’s actions.

Potential Sentence

Given the nature of Lockwood’s crimes and the impact they had on the Capitol breach, the statutory maximum sentence of eight years in prison indicates the seriousness with which the court views these offenses. The sentencing hearing will provide an opportunity for the prosecution, the defense, and the court to thoroughly examine all aspects of the case and arrive at a fair and just resolution.

Timeline of Events

The events leading up to Lockwood’s plea and subsequent sentencing hearing provide important context to understand the severity of his actions. On January 6, 2021, Lockwood was present outside the west side of the U.S. Capitol building on the northwest riser, which formed part of the inaugural amphitheater. Lockwood shared a Facebook message at approximately 3:47 p.m., stating, “Im on top of the capitol bro.” This message indicates his active participation in the breach.

At around 4:06 p.m., Lockwood sent another Facebook message, this time including a selfie of himself on the northwest riser. Further evidence of his involvement comes from a message sent at approximately 4:23 p.m., in which Lockwood reported that tear gas had been deployed on the northwest riser, stating, “They just tear gassed the F[***] out of us.” This message not only confirms his presence during the breach but also highlights the chaotic and violent atmosphere that prevailed at the time.

Lockwood’s Actions on Jan. 6

Lockwood’s active participation in the events of January 6 can be seen in his altercation with law enforcement officers. As police officers began clearing the platform on the riser, where a crowd of rioters, including Lockwood, were standing, Lockwood resisted their attempts to move him. During this confrontation, Lockwood grabbed a police officer’s baton and made contact with the officer’s arm and body. He then jumped off the raised platform, pulling the police baton out of the officer’s hand.

Altercation with Law Enforcement

The altercation between Lockwood and the law enforcement officer provides further evidence of Lockwood’s aggressive actions during the Capitol breach. As tensions escalated, Lockwood physically engaged with the officer, resulting in the theft of the officer’s baton. This violent act against law enforcement demonstrates the dangerous disregard for the rule of law exhibited by Lockwood and others involved in the breach.

Lockwood’s Confession

In the aftermath of the events on January 6, Lockwood admitted to his involvement in the confrontation with law enforcement. In a Facebook message sent at 5:07 p.m., Lockwood discussed the altercation, stating, “Yea bro I got in a fight with the cops and s[***].” When asked if he was arrested, Lockwood responded, “No arrest I took a baton from them.” Lockwood’s confession provides further confirmation of his active role in assaulting law enforcement officers and highlights his lack of remorse for his actions.

Investigation and Prosecution

The investigation and prosecution of individuals involved in the Capitol breach has been a top priority for law enforcement agencies and the Department of Justice. In Lockwood’s case, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice National Security Division’s Counterterrorism Section are responsible for prosecuting the charges against him. The FBI’s Washington and Cleveland Field Offices, as well as the Metropolitan Police Department and the U.S. Capitol Police, have contributed significantly to the investigation.

Since January 6, 2021, over 1,069 individuals have been arrested in connection with the Capitol breach, with more than 350 individuals facing charges of assaulting or impeding law enforcement. These numbers reflect the magnitude of the investigation and the commitment to holding those responsible accountable for their actions. It is important to note that the investigation remains ongoing, and additional arrests and charges may occur as new evidence emerges.

In conclusion, Michael Scott Lockwood’s guilty plea to assaulting law enforcement during the January 6 Capitol breach underscores the seriousness of the crimes committed by those who sought to disrupt the democratic process. Lockwood’s actions, as outlined in the investigation and subsequent prosecution, reveal a disregard for the rule of law and the safety of others. The upcoming sentencing hearing will provide an opportunity for the court to consider all relevant factors and ensure that justice is served. As the investigation into the Capitol breach continues, it is crucial to remain vigilant in holding individuals accountable for their actions and safeguarding the principles on which our democracy stands.